Before we proceed, be warned that although rooting will give you much more control over the setting and feel of your phone but it will finish any warranty or guarantee you might have with the manufacturer for your phone. Also, if not done properly, your manly phone can end up as a fancy paper weight.
- Let us gather all the resources we need to proceed.
- We need the right drivers for your Moto phone and MotorolaOneClickRoot.zip which you can find easily using Google. Once you have installed the drivers and extracted the root package on desktop proceed to the next step.
- Switching to Developer Mode
- Navigate to the settings on your phone and switch of the developer mode. To do this, go to Settings >> Application >> Development and check the USB Debugging option.
- Next, attach your phone to the computer using the USB cable and make sure that phone is in Charge Only Mode.
- Easiest Rooting Method
- Now navigate to the folder where you extracted the files from MotorolaOneClickRoot.zip and run MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe. Follow the on screen instructions.
- Rebooting Now
- Within 3 steps and a couple of reboots, your phone will be ready with the super user abilities.
- This is definitely the easiest procedure to Root the Droid. In fact the same process can be used with any Motorola device which runs on Gingerbread.
- How to Flash a Custom ROM on Motorola Droid X
- Once you have successfully rooted your phone, you can flash any custom ROM on it. The following tutorial will help you do this within a few minutes.
- Search and download the ROM you want to install from the Internet.
- Once you have the ROM, head to Play Store on your Android device and install ROM Manager which is available free of cost.
- Run the app and select Clockworkmod Recovery. Confirm your action and allow the app to make changes when prompted.
- Attach your phone to the computer using the USB Cable. Open your phone on the computer as a disk drive. Let the autorun show you the options and open the disk drive using the appropriate option.
- Copy-Paste the ROM you downloaded in the first step in the phone.
- Remove USB cable and run the ROM Manager application. Select ‘install ROM from SD Card’ and navigate to the room we have pasted in the phone.
- The next step will show you 2 options – Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache. You should and you must check both the options and continue with the process.
- You phone will now restart in clockworkmod recovery. You do not need to do anything now. The phone will first backup your current settings (which will be helpful if something goes wrong) and later install the new ROM. The complete process will take somewhere around 15 minutes. After both the processes are done, the phone will restart.
During restart you will see the new elements of the ROM you just installed. Be patient as the phone will configure the new ROM and make changes accordingly. Once done, you will be asked to sign in with your Google Account. And we’re done!